At the time of its launch and sale the E24 6 series had a purpose, it was packed with luxury and other features that bankers and other high rollers of the time would appreciate. But there was a crucial difference, these guys liked to drive around. This was a purpose that the 635CSi fulfilled. This particular 635CSi is special as it has a E30 manual transmission swap for you to enjoy it just that bit more. Over 200 horsepower is sent to the rear wheels through a 5 speed manual.
The current owner bought the car in May of 2020 from Al Hai Classics, a classic car dealer based in Dubai. The vehicle was imported from Japan. The number of previous owners is unknown. The car was extensively worked on at Slick Customs, a BMW specialist in Dubai. Slick handled the manual transmission swap, suspension work and a host of other repairs. More recently the vehicle was maintained at classic car specialist The Collectors Workshop (TCW) also based in Al Quoz, Dubai. The car is driven about once or twice a week. Overall this is a good example of a low mileage 635 CSI project. With a lot of mechanical repairs complete; only cosmetic work is left to bring it up to spec.
REPAIRS & SERVICE
Over the past two years, the owner has invested nearly AED 70,000 (USD $19,000). The breakdown includes a total of AED 59,000 (USD $16,000) towards the mechanical restoration and repairs. The remaining AED 11,000 was spent on other new parts including rims, tires, and battery. Receipts and documentation of mechanical repairs are provided in the History Report above.
- Engine: Replaced oil filter housing seal and washer, engine mounts, gasket, alternator, exhaust gasket, rear crank oil seal and drive belt set
- Drivetrain: Replaced steering pump, coupling and center bearing and front stabilizer bushings. Automatic to manual clutch conversion
- Cooling: Condenser and AC compressor replaced (used unit)
- Fuel Delivery: Fuel tank cleaned, fuel level sensor installed, fuel filter, external fuel pump, in tank fuel pump, strainer and fuel hoses replaced
- Suspension: Replaced trailing arm support and rear link
- Brakes: Replaced front and rear caliper kits
- Wiring: Fuse box repaired, starter motor replaced, instrument cluster wiring repaired
Exterior and Cosmetic
- Exterior: Front lower bumper repaired.
- Interior: Glove box and speakers installed.
- Lights: Front fog lamp and reverse lamp bulbs replaced
- Wheels: Steering alignment, wheels and tires replaced
- Tires: 225/45/R17 Continentals
- 5 speed manual transmission swap from an E30 3-series
- Limited slip differential fitted from an E28 5-series
- Slick Custom branded adjustable coilovers lowering the car by approximately 1.5 inches
- New Behr radiator
GOOD TO KNOW
- A full pre-purchase inspection by an independent party was done on this vehicle at EBC Express in Al Quoz, Dubai. The Inspection Report (provided above) lists all recommended repairs and maintenance in detail.
- The owner reports that
- A new AC compressor may be needed
- The interior was reupholstered in red vinyl/leather before the current owner got the vehicle. A few areas still require interior work as shown in the photos.
- There are a few rust spots around the rear wheel arches, drivers side, and around the exhaust.
- Radio does not work
- All service receipts and documentation are provided in the History Report above
- ENGINE START – HOOD
- ENGINE START – BACK